Author Topic: DM did playback on the 101 album?  (Read 4751 times)

Guilmon1998

• Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm
    • View Profile
DM did playback on the 101 album?
« on: September 14, 2015, 04:19:33 pm »
i was listening to the short snippets of the audience recording of the concert in the Rose Bowl and sounds so different than the album version, the Dave's shouts and the backing vocals sounds so different, so i was wondering... did Depeche Mode during the edition of the recording they added the playback or something? 

Angelinda

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: DM did playback on the 101 album?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 07:55:32 pm »
Yeah, the re-recorded some parts for the 101 release.

From Alan's Q&A:

Question: Is it true that on the '101' album, some of Dave's vocals were re-recorded in the studio?
Alan: Put it this way, I doubt there's ever been a live album in the history of pop music that hasn't been touched up here and there.

- http://oldsite.recoil.co.uk/forum/qa/dlives2.htm

DM Live Wiki

• Everything counts in large amounts.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2015, 08:24:49 am »
Comparing the audience recording to the 101 release, it would appear that much of Dave's vocals were re-recorded, plus several keyboard mistakes were corrected. There were monitoring problems during the show, the acoustics were reportedly horrendous, and Dave had voice problems, so it is no surprise. While I still enjoy listening to 101, it sounds a bit too "polished" to me. I think even some of Martin's vocals were re-done.
Owner & curator of the Depeche Mode Live Wiki.
I am ligushka on DIME, a torrent tracker for live recordings in general.

discotraxxx

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »
Hi,

it could be nice to surface the proshot video filmed by the Rose Bowl with the complete SDB soundtrack...

See You

Vince

Exi7wound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 01:24:10 am »
I was there, with two of my best friends. We recorded it on a crummy microcassette recorder, which has been lost to the ages I'm afraid. However, we were pretty suprised at how different the 101 recording sounded when the album came out. I'd LOVE to hear an original again sometime.

DM Live Wiki

• Everything counts in large amounts.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 08:22:51 pm »
I was there, with two of my best friends. We recorded it on a crummy microcassette recorder, which has been lost to the ages I'm afraid. However, we were pretty suprised at how different the 101 recording sounded when the album came out. I'd LOVE to hear an original again sometime.
If you ever do happen to find the microcassette with the recording, please let me know!

I'll PM you the average audience recording of the first 9 tracks - that's all that exists, unfortunately.
Owner & curator of the Depeche Mode Live Wiki.
I am ligushka on DIME, a torrent tracker for live recordings in general.