Author Topic: About DM Early Songs  (Read 4864 times)

Guilmon1998

• Words are very unnecessary, they can only do harm
    • View Profile
About DM Early Songs
« on: October 02, 2015, 09:20:31 pm »
i want to provide some information about some songs played during the 1980 Tour and 1981 Tour, worth mentioning that the information is 100% confirmed by Vince Clarke

Television Set a.ka T.V. Set: was written by Jason Knott in 1979, Jason was in a local band called ‘The Neatelllls’ (spelt with 4 L’s) which also included well know Basildon drummer Peter Hobbs. Although they never actually formed a band together, Jason, Peter and Vince Clarke did rehearse together a number of times and this how Vince got to hear the song. Vince took the song through a number of incarnations, firstly a recording with his friend Sue Paget ( his bandmate in “No Romance in China”) with Vince on guitar & vocals and Sue on Bass guitar. The second version was a solo demo track made by Vince, sounding completley different, made with a synthesiser, drum machine and Vince's vocals. Finally, Vince introduced the song into his new band Depeche Mode. The photo below shows the original cassette by ‘No Romance in China’ that contains their recording of T.V.Set. As you can see its has been recorded over a copy of ‘The Cure’s Three Imaginary Boys’, Vince’s favourite band at the time.

Reason Man: Written by Vince Clarke in 1980, the song have a very confusing lyrics, but the lyrics talks about political issues, the song was never released due the song was very provocative and the lyrics were very deep, the song was never re-used or became to another new song during Vince's career, was only played during the 1980 Tour

Tomorrow's Dance: Written by Vince Clarke in 1980, the song had an influence of big band songs according to Vince, was played during the 1980 Tour, later the song was rewritten and went on to become "Nodisco"

The Price Of Love: Written by The Everly Brothers in 1965, and was only played during the 1980 Tour and 1981 Tour, for obvious reason was never recorded for an album or as a B-side

Radio News: Written by Vince Clarke, played on some dates of the 1980 Tour, one of them was at 1980-09-20 Crocs, Rayleigh, Essex, England, UK, the only recording online is included in the demo tape of 1980, the song was never officially released because Vince considered that the song was very monotonous

The Mirror Is Standing: Written by Vince Clarke played only in the early dates of the 1980 Tour, according to the info provided by Vince during an interview i made to him, the song appears on the first demo tape of Composition Of Sound, the song was never officially released or as a B-side because Vince considered that the the song was not enough good to be in an album, a lot of people said that nobody in the band remembered this song, but apparently Vince remember the song.

Mamma Mia: written by ABBA, the song was used to been played as an instrumental, was played during the first dates of the 1980 Tour

Secrets: Written By Vince Clarke in 1979, the song was played only once during the 1980 Tour, later Vince rewrote the song and went on to become "Unmarked" by Yazoo of their second album "You And Me Both"

And Then I Kissed Her: Written by The Crystals, This song was only performed on very early dates during the 1980 Tour. the band sometimes played the version of the Beach Boys

Let's Get Together: Written By Vince Clarke in 1980, according to the info provided by Vince the song was only played two times during the 1981 Tour, the reason why the song was never release it's because the song had a strong resemblance to Just Can't Get Enough, later the song was recorded in the Yazoo's Demo Tape, the only full recording of the demo is from a second-gen of the demo tape of Yazoo with a worst quality, The photo below shows the original Yazoo's Demo tape which includes the song, he later rewrote the song for the group Girl Authority which covered it as a single in 2007.

I Like It: Written by Gerry And The Pacemakers: was played during the early dates of the 1980 Tour, and later on the See You Tour

Sunday Morning: Written By Martin Gore, is a early live track from "Composition Of Sound", performed only two or three times on very early dates of the 1980 Tour, with the vocal style being a "hymn-like chant". was never released because was not good to be in an album according to Vince.

Mouldy Old Dough: Written By Lieutenant Pigeon, was an instrumental cover performed only in the early dates of the 1980 Tour

Addiction: Written By Vince, according to the info provided by Vince the song was only played six times, two during the last dates of the 1980 Tour and 4 during the early dates of the 1981 Tour, later Vince rewrote the song and went on to become "Don't Go" by Yazoo of their First album "Upstairs At Eric's"

the famous unknown instrumental of the COS Demo Tape It turns out to be nothing more or nothing less than an early version of Big Muff, according to the info provided by Vince during an interview i did to him, originally Written by Martin Gore
« Last Edit: October 02, 2015, 09:26:07 pm by Guilmon1998 »

Ronny

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: About DM Early Songs
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 04:53:05 am »
Reason Man: Written by Vince Clarke in 1980, the song have a very confusing lyrics, but the lyrics talks about political issues, the song was never released due the song was very provocative and the lyrics were very deep, the song was never re-used or became to another new song during Vince's career, was only played during the 1980 Tour
Too provocative? This was right after punk. What part of that song could have been provocative?
And from what I´ve read, Vince reused that song with Erasure.
Tomorrow's Dance: Written by Vince Clarke in 1980, the song had an influence of big band songs according to Vince, was played during the 1980 Tour, later the song was rewritten and went on to become "Nodisco"
I find that hard to believe. Those two songs are are nothing alike.
The photo below shows the original Yazoo's Demo tape which includes the song, he later rewrote the song for the group Girl Authority which covered it as a single in 2007.
Would he (as a native speaker) write "demo`s" instead of "demos"? Again, I have some doubts...
Addiction: Written By Vince, according to the info provided by Vince the song was only played six times, two during the last dates of the 1980 Tour and 4 during the early dates of the 1981 Tour, later Vince rewrote the song and went on to become "Don't Go" by Yazoo of their First album "Upstairs At Eric's"
I can´t see the connection between both songs. I don´t believe it.

DM Live Wiki

• Everything counts in large amounts.
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 10:26:42 am »
The tape stock used for the bottom TDK cassette matches the time period of the tracks: that cassette is from 1979 to 1981.

Ronny, "Reason Man" supposedly went on to become "Unmarked" by Yazoo. I don't remember where I read that, but I also mentioned it on the wiki so I think it would be from a credible source.
Owner & curator of the Depeche Mode Live Wiki.
I am ligushka on DIME, a torrent tracker for live recordings in general.

Guilmon1998

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 12:48:06 pm »
The tape stock used for the bottom TDK cassette matches the time period of the tracks: that cassette is from 1979 to 1981.

Ronny, "Reason Man" supposedly went on to become "Unmarked" by Yazoo. I don't remember where I read that, but I also mentioned it on the wiki so I think it would be from a credible source.

the cassette is played during the BAS festival on the DM BAS Bus Tour, on a tour around the city, the cassette was recorded between December 1981 to January 1982. 

the info about Unmarked is wrong, Reason Man was never rewroted or reused again, Secrets went on to become Unmarked, the info you found about Reason Man was from an app of Commodore 64 called "101 - A Tribute to Depeche Mode" which is wrong in the information
a proof of it is the list of Vince's unreleased songs of Yazoo and DM on this website http://www.yazoo.org.uk/sc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 12:54:38 pm by Guilmon1998 »

Ronny

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2015, 04:57:25 pm »
a proof of it is the list of Vince's unreleased songs of Yazoo and DM on this website http://www.yazoo.org.uk/sc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=6
Interesting list, but how reliable is it? It´s not an official site. I might be wrong, but I always thought "Addiction" is the same song as "Closer all the time" or "Ghost of modern time".

Guilmon1998

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 02:23:36 pm »
Interesting list, but how reliable is it? It´s not an official site. I might be wrong, but I always thought "Addiction" is the same song as "Closer all the time" or "Ghost of modern time".

i didn't bring all the information from that site, i know "Addiction" has a lot of name due the setlist of the gigs
but most of the information i get was from the interview i got with Vince Clarke

DM Live Wiki

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 08:13:23 am »
Luckily they are viewable to all, @dmplus.

I clearly have some more editing to do on the wiki!

EDIT: Updated "Let's Get Together" info: https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/Demos_%26_Studio_Pre-Mixes#Let.27s_Get_Together_.28Demo.2C_entire_track.29
Not really sure if this can still be considered a DM demo / pre-mix, but there isn't really a better place for it on the wiki other than possibly "fake tracks", but it's not really fake - just often mislabeled and misunderstood!

Working on TV Set now.
EDIT2: "Television Set" should be all set (excuse the pun): https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/Television_Set
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 02:26:14 pm by Towncivilian »

DM Live Wiki

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Depeche Mode Live Wiki
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 10:08:10 am »
"Let's Get Together" now has its own wiki page with lyrics transcribed: https://www.depechemode-live.com/wiki/Let%27s_Get_Together